Thursday, December 20, 2012

Five Classic Cereal Commercials




C3POs
I don’t remember this commercial, but I can only imagine it was the highlight of Saturday morning cartoon commercials. This much fresh Star Wars content in the 80's would have been a lot to handle for a kid just trying to make it through The Wuzzles.




Nerds
This one is near and dear to my heart, but not because of the cereal (which was pretty awful), but because I got to try it before any other kid in my neighborhood. Growing up my dad worked for a grocery warehouse, and every once and a while he would get to bring home items companies were test marketing or that just hadn’t been released to the general public yet. I remember sampling, and having my mind blown by Micro Magic burgers and shakes before anyone had a clue that such a thing existed. We sampled flavors of Crush soda that I don’t think ever made it to market (apple, grapefruit). 

One day my dad came home with Nerds Cereal. I loved Nerds, I loved Cereal, I loved exclusivity, what could go wrong? Well, pretty much everything. The gimmick of the two flavors in one box was nice to see carried through, but both flavors tasted the same, and neither were very good. Plus, the moment milk got in the same room with these; they became a sloppy soggy mess. 

You know you lived a good childhood when your lessons in disappointment were so trivial that they were taught to you by poorly made cereal.  






Honey Nut Cheerios
Honey Nut Cheerios wasn’t for me, but I remember they advertised for it relentlessly during cartoons. That bee was always up to something, but winning over kids from cereals with bright colors, marshmallows, and chocolate wasn’t one of them.





G.I. Joe Action Stars 
One bite? Really Kid? I think the Joe’s should do a PSA on eating disorders.




Fruit Wheats
I remember these things being super gross, and this is coming from a kid that would eat almost anything if it had enough sugar in it. Mini Wheats has something similar out now, but I’m still so scarred from the foul taste of Fruit Wheats that I’m staying far away from them. See you in hell Fruit Wheats.







BONUS!

Pee Wees MR. T cereal
As a bonus, here is the greatest cinematic cereal moment in the history. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice, we're talking cereal here.